Monday, October 12, 2009

Columbus Day


I discovered a love for Columbus Day last year when my boss walked into my office as said we were closed for Columbus Day. What? I thought. Seriously? I never remember getting off during school for Columbus Day but if the Business World celebrates then I will not question their celebration!

But why do we celebrate and what do we celebrate....well let's find out...

Columbus Day first became an official state holiday in Colorado in 1905, and became a federal Holiday in 1934. However, people have celebrated Columbus' voyage since the colonial period. In 1792, New York City and other U.S. cities celebrated the 300th anniversary of his landing in the New World. In 1892, President Benjamin Harrison called upon the people of the United States to celebrate Columbus Day on the 400th anniversary of the event. During the 400-year anniversary in 1892, teachers, preachers, poets and politicians used Columbus Day rituals to teach ideals of patriotism. These patriotic rituals were framed around themes such as support for war, citizenship boundaries, the importance of loyalty to the nation, and celebrating social progress.

Interesting...and I will celebrate by sleeping in and watching movies and remembering good ole Chris!

No comments:

Post a Comment